Thursday, March 31, 2011

Berry Frozen Yogurt

I don't have a particularly sweet tooth.  Neither do I own a freezer nor an ice-cream maker.  Making a frozen dessert therefore does not exactly feature high up on my culinary agenda.  A recent stay with my friends Deb and Chris and their experiments with goats yogurt started to get my mind, and my tastebuds racing.  Goat and sheep yogurts have a pleasing tang which is perfect if you don't fancy something overly sweet.  A Sunday lunch for friends presented me with the opportunity to play in the kitchen and see what I could conjure up with a pot of sheep yogurt and the tiny freezer compartment of my fridge.  The result?  A simple (but delicious even if I do say so myself) dessert.  Delicious served on its own or, as pictured here, with leftover defrosted berries and a meringue nest.

Berry Frozen Yogurt
Ingredients
450ml yogurt (I used sheep)
275g defrosted, frozen berries
zest and juice of ½ a lime
1 tsp runny honey

Method
Scoop the yogurt into a food processor.  Add the berries and their juices, lime zest and juice and honey.
Blend until smooth then pour the mixture in a freezer-proof container with a lid.
Freeze for approximately 2 hours. 
Remove from the freezer and break up the mixture with a fork.  Stir until smooth and return to the freezer.
After another couple of hours, repeat the process then return to the freezer.
Remove the frozen yogurt 15 minutes or so before you want to serve it to allow it to soften slightly.

No comments: